Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Writers Wednesday: Remembering Syd Field

On Monday, Syd Field, noted screenwriting guru passed away.

Today there are a plethora of screenwriting books available (and yes I own most of them). A few are great,some are good, most are average. When reading through many of these books a lot will reference three books:
1. Robert McKee's 'Story'
2. Blake Snyder's, 'Save The Cat',
3. Syd Field's, 'Screenplay: The Foundations of ScreenWriting'

His book, Screenplay: The Foundations of ScreenWriting, was first released in 1979 and started the ball rolling of the topic of dissecting screenwriting as it became a best seller. (McKee's book was published in 1997 and Snyder's book was published in 2005). Syd's book made a mark because it was the first to really tear screenwriting down to the nuts and bolts. From that book, Field went on to write several more best sellers relating to screenwriting.













(Evolution of the 3 Act Structure)

Over the years Syd became a story consultant Disney, 20th Century Fox, Universal, Tri-Star and countless others. From there Syd toured the world giving seminars/workshops influencing countless people.

Syd went on to because the 1st inductee into the ScreenWriting Hall of Fame of the American ScreenWriting Association and an induction into the Final Draft Hall of Fame in 2012.
















(Noted screenwriter John August tweets about Syd Field's passing)


Over the years, I've met a lot of screenwriting teachers and been to writer's group's where Syd is considered a guide and some where his book is considered to do more harm than good. Each side would discuss and defend their assertions but the fact remains that his book is pretty much the one book every screenwriter has read.

Tina Fey, (30 Rock, SNL) summed it up with her comment on his passing, "I did a million drafts and then I did the thing everybody does - I read Syd Field and I used my index cards."

Have you read any of Syd's books? Have they worked for you? If so please comment in the section below.

Keep writing,

Dave
Http://DaveBullis.Com

No comments:

Post a Comment