Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Writers Wednesday: Show Your Work

I was recently listening to the James Altucher podcast, he had on guest Austin Kleon, who recently published a book, 'Show Your Work' where he encourages artists to show their process and how something evolves from idea to a final piece. From nothing to something.

I thought this idea was excellent. Steven Pressfield introduced me to the idea of the fool's cap method and what he's been doing is showing how he brainstormed various projects particularly, 'The Legend of Bagger Vance' and 'The Lions Gate'. It's an insight into a process that until the internet revolution was (mostly) hidden away.

In the coming months I plan on publishing snapshots along with ideas, thoughts about new feature length screenplay I'm working on. Below is a brainstorming session I had last night for a new short screenplay challenge for my writers group. One note book page just making dashes and arrows for different ideas for jokes, structure and scenario's. Next week I'll show you a polished version (as it's due next week) and the week after that what the writers group thought of it (it's a gross out comedy where I'm parodying the day in the life of a person in the group so I'm expecting mixed reactions). 

And speaking of my writers group, we've finally launched a Facebook page for my screenwriters group so please LIKE the page if you want to be keep informed on screenwriting and our group. To note we're discussing the idea of having a live event soon here in the Philadelphia area. 

Thanks for reading, 

Dave 


No comments:

Post a Comment